What is futsal?
We're glad you asked!
In San Ramon and around the world, futsal is a fun, fast-paced sport that shares many similarities with soccer.
It is often played indoors.
At San Ramon FC, we are fortunate to have two indoor futsal courts for kids and adults to use.
Whether played recreationally or competitively, the sport of futsal is enjoyed by youth and adults for many reasons, including:
- Small court, usually indoors
- Small teams
- Fast pace of play
- In general, the sport creates more touches on the ball for players
- Futsal improves ball skills, passing, and quick thinking
- There is less physical contact between players than in soccer
Futsal vs. Soccer
Both sports have much in common, but there are some significant differences too.
- Futsal is played 5 v 5.
- Each team has 4 field players + a goalie.
- Futsal uses a "no bounce" ball.
- A futsal ball bounces about 1/2 as high as a soccer ball.
- This allows the ball to settle to the floor quickly.
- Futsal has no offsides rule.
- Futsal courts have out-of-bounds lines.
- In this instance, futsal is just like basketball and outdoor soccer.
- There are no throw-ins in futsal.
- A ball that rolled out of bounds is passed back onto the court to restart play.
- In futsal, substitutions are made "in the run of play".
- This means a player can leave the court in the middle of the game and be replaced by a teammate while the ball is in play.
- Slide tackling is not allowed in futsal.